Tuesday, January 11, 2011

You've got mail!



I got another postcard from the sister. A dreamy view of Prague, bridges, city spires rising in a haze.

I'll take a photo and post it later but for now, here's a snippet from one of my all time favourite movies - You've Got Mail.

It's such a whimsical, nonsense little film. No deep meanings, it's not indie and its definitely not arthouse.

But. It has NY looking delightful in four seasons. It mentions some of my favourite childhood reads - Noel Streatfeild's Shoe books - and it's about little bookstores and romance.

Yes, romance. That rose pink haze of courtship and dating that usually precedes wild and abandoned sex which seems to be what most rom-coms are about these days. I miss romantic films - I mean, this one was a hit and it doesn't have a single sex scene. Instead it has sharp lines, twirling and a boy who brings a girl flowers when she's sick.

No comments: