Thursday, August 27, 2009

No Shadow of Turning


Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning.

James 1:17

The week started strangely - with a memorial service. E, one of my dearest and oldest friends, posted on FB of her grandmother's death on Saturday. Thanks to my being incredibly busy on both Saturday and Sunday, I didn't find out until Monday. I honestly thank God for whatever it was that made me log into fb on Monday morning and scroll through everything. No, I don't usually do that; my normal habit is to check my messages and then scoot offline.

E looked small, and so young as she got up to speak at the service and I was suddenly overwhelmed. Not by grief, but with love for her. The winding course of a long friendship, I realized, is not unlike that of a marriage. As I looked at E , I felt a confidence that whatever life brought: job changes, birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, life changes - we'd be there for each other and we'd get through it together. Sometimes, I'll wait in patience for her around the turn and sometimes, she'll wait for me - but always, I want to run this race with her.

Workwise, it's been busy and about to get busier so this blog might fall silent for a bit -still writing little bits here and there - on pieces of paper, my notebook, random scribbles. In the main, these last few weeks, I've taken some time out to just sit, rest, think, meet with a mentor and pray.

The rest was good and there is less a sense of strain. That throbbing, thumping - I must do everything/get everything done - string of evil thoughts is in abeyance and I am so grateful. There is and will be a time to do. But for now - a time to rest and study and just be held.

**

The girl re-emerges

I always promise a whole girl-y post about shoes and shopping - and so far that has yet to happen. But yes - boys and girls - there was some shopping done in the last couple of weeks. Not enormous amounts, but I do believe a lovely satin-y skirt with a rose (!) and cute shoes were ogled and then purchased *pleased smile*

Next up on the shopping front:

*my first cheongsam (!)
*red shoes/bag

**

Book front

Finished The Children's Book - ever so layered and rich- but too many characters, less focus than Possession, mildly too didactic on the historical information front. I don't think Byatt will or should get the Booker for this one but a rich rich read all the same. Lends itself well to a Freudian interpretation.

Finished Persepolis - more on that later. Never quite realized Iranian history was SO convoluted and upside down. Just strengthens my desire to go travel and explore the Middle East though.

2/3 of the way through Discovering the God Who Is by RC Sproul. Taking my time with this one - so insightful and interesting. Also so close to my heart so I want to take the time to let it sink it, be absorbed. Re-reading some chapters even while reading it.

1 comment:

PEP said...

Wanna see you in cheongsam!!! You would have to get a fan too.