Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Anything. I was a reader.

What did you like to read when you were growing up?

Anything. I was a reader. My parents would frisk me before family events. Before weddings, funerals, bar mitzvahs, and what have you. Because if they didn't, then the book would be hidden inside some pocket or other and as soon as whatever it was got under way I'd be found in a corner. That was who I was...that was what I did. I was the kid with the book. Now having said that, I tended to gravitate towards anything fantastical be it SF, be it fantasy, be it horror, be it ghost stories or anything in that territory. But I was definitely the kind of kid that read anything.

From a 1999 Neil Gaiman interview.

*

That was pretty much me from age 8 onwards to ... well, I kind of never stopped being the girl in the corner with a book. It's always nice to find kindred spirits. People who love the written word, stories that thrill and overwhelm you and teach you new ways of seeing the world. I don't think it even matters if you started on Harry Potter, Narnia or Dahl - the point is that a well written story will take a life of its own and pull you in.

No comments: