Monday, May 24, 2010

Farrago



Oh such a busy week but there's a dive trip coming up this Thursday so it's busy shot through with excitement and anticipation. Besides, it's almost June! ~hugs one self in happiness~

I'm going off to see the sister in the UK in June and I can hardly wait. I *need* to get out of Singapore. Hopefully, in between diving and the Lake District, by end June, I should have gotten the restlessness (and need for open spaces) out of my system.

I haven't seen any squirrels on my way to work recently so that photo up there is just for fun :) I heart my housing estate and its odd out of the way location, trees and suburban feel. It's sometimes difficult, transport-wise but that feeling of slipping away from the world at the end of the day is pretty magical.

I used to joke with my friends that I ate like a cat because some meals, I'd just be lazy and eat tuna out of a can and cornflakes with milk. Well I helped feed Mr Grey's cats for the first time last night! And realized that those tins of cat food look almost exactly like my tins of tuna - ugh. I hope I've never bought/eaten the wrong thing.

Any book recommendations anyone? I just finished a book by C J Mahaney and am halfway through Lee Strobels' The Case for Christ (not liking his writing style over much though)so it'd be fun to tackle something satisfyingly thick and rich fiction next(Alexandre Dumas? Dickens?). Otherwise, I'll stick with the David Wells books I've got.

Speaking of Wells, there's an extract from him below.

Christianity is not just an experience, we need to remember, but it is about the truth. The experience of being reconciled to the Father, through the Son, by the work of the Holy Spirit all happens within a worldview. The worldview is the way God has taught us in his Word to view the world. That is why the bible begins with Genesis 1:1 and not with John 3:16. It begins by setting out the distinction, as against paganism, between Creator and creation. It then lays out an understanding of God in His nature and redemptive works as well as an understanding of who humans are in their nature and in their fallenness. All of this sets the stage for the coming of Christ, for his incarnation, life, death and resurrection. It is on this basis that God’s wrath is assuaged, our sin is judged, our alienation is overcome, and we who are by nature unrighteous are made righteous in Christ. This happens only because of his grace and only through the empty hand of faith by which all of this is received. A Christian worldview, then, is one that rests upon a biblical understanding of the world, God, ourselves and the redemptive work of Christ.


-- David Wells

*

K, so that's all for now! Cheers guys (whoever it is who reads this space)! Am off to go look at corals and fish :)

No comments: