Saturday, October 24, 2009

today last year

In the next month, two more of my friends will leave Singapore for good and I'm more than a little sad.

Don't quote hoary cliches at me about how other people will come into your life. I don't care. I'm going to miss those guys so much.

Today last year or any day last year,I would probably be out having tea with Z, one of my closest friends in the world. We wound up working for the same company and he and I used to sneak out to have coffee at least 3 times a week. Or he'd come over to my desk to chat and eat chocolate. Or we'd call each other on the office line and giggle together about stuff. He hugged me when I cried because I got scolded. I hugged him when his life was going slightly mad as well.

When I listened to this song earlier in the week,I thought of Z and all those times we had just hanging out and knew that I'd miss those quiet happy times.

***



***

It's nearly November and nearly 12 months since I last set foot in Australia. There have been titanic shifts in my life since and for most of this year, I just felt like I was clutching at rails, handles, straws - anything around me that seem stable in a quaking world.

This blog has gotten ... more biblical in the last months and it's a partial reflection of one of the biggest changes in my life. Sorry folks, but this change in programming is permanent. I'm not some progressive libertarian, I'm not some open minded chick comfortable with the moral and ethical relativism of this world. I'm not and I don't want to act like I am.

Saw this on Tim Challies' blog and thought, well yes - this is pretty much it:

"I am...

* Christian - I affirm that Jesus is my Lord and Saviour.
* Protestant - I affirm the five "solas" of the Reformation.
* Reformed - I affirm the doctrines of grace - principles known to some as Calvinism.
* Evangelical - I believe the gospel (which is the original and truest meaning of "evangelical")."


***

"God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands. 25 Nor is He worshiped with men’s hands, as though He needed anything, since He gives to all life, breath, and all things. "

No comments: