Thursday, August 23, 2007

This only works with comfortable shoes

This is going to be one of those days...I can tell.

It's not going to be bad exactly, just frantic and tiring.

I have an audit and a hearing and masses of work that's screaming to get done.

But it's better than one of those days where there is just such poison in the air, where various people tell me the variously bad things others have done to them. Whether it's real or imagined slights, it's still exhausting and poisonous and I feel like I just don't want anything to do with it.

I leave work on days like that with a chest full of poison and exhaustion. But am unable to get into a tram and face other people...all with faces like mine.

So no matter how cold the night it, I walk and walk....across town, in the direction of home but avoiding people and looking at bright lights, the reflection of lights on the Yarra river, clothes, makeup...anything but people.

I walk until I'm exhausted and the poison is drained.

By the time I get home, my heart is pumping, my body is warm and best of all...my mind is clear.

People will always be people. And sometimes, when people have insisted on being well...human, the only way is to walk things off and try to come home with a clear mind and heart.

No comments: